UC Statement of Privacy Values
The University of California respects the privacy of individuals. Privacy plays an important role in human dignity and is necessary for an ethical and respectful workplace. Indeed, the California Constitution guarantees the inalienable right to privacy.
Privacy consists of:
- An individual’s ability to conduct activities without concern of or actual observation; AND
- The appropriate protection, use, and release of information about individuals.
The University must balance its respect for both types of privacy with its other values along with legal, policy, and administrative obligations. Academic and intellectual freedoms are values that help further the mission of the University. These freedoms are most vibrant where individuals have autonomy: where inquiry is free because it is given adequate space for experimentation and the ability to speak and participate in discourse within the academy is possible without intimidation.
Transparency and accountability are values that form the cornerstone of public trust. Access to information concerning the conduct of business in a public university and an individual’s access to information concerning him/herself is a right of every citizen. Thus, the University continually strives for an appropriate balance between:
- Ensuring an appropriate level of privacy through its policies and practices, even as interpretations of privacy change over time;
- Nurturing an environment of openness and creativity for teaching and research;
- Being an attractive place to work;
- Honoring its obligation as a public institution to remain transparent, accountable, and operationally effective and efficient; and
- Safeguarding information about individuals and assets for which it is a steward.
The UC Santa Barbara Privacy Office provides resources and guidance regarding the use and release of data as well as information about safeguarding privacy.
The UC Santa Barbara Privacy Statement details how the University collects and uses information provided by students, staff, faculty, and visitors in its efforts to fulfill the University Mission.